The Scarlet Letter: A Literary Analysis

The novel The Scarlet Letter is a classic piece of American Literature. Hawthorne uses his novel to convey his anti-transcendental philosophy and the influence of Puritan society on current day society. The validity of The Scarlet Letter as a work of American literature is also something that must be addressed in order to have a full understanding of the novel.

In Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter, he uses character development to convey his thematic purpose. The novel has many symbols, the most predominate is the scarlet "A". Each character embodies a different thematic goal, and together they all were used to express Hawthorne's anti-transcendental philosophy. Hester, Dimmesdale, and Chillingworth exist on at least two different levels. In one they represent the original sin. On another they each embody the Greek fatal flaw. (The Cycle of American Literature, Robert Spiller, 63-64) Dimmesdale's cowardice to confess to his sin leads to his tragic downfall from the saint of the town. Chillingworth's obsession with revenge creates an almost schizophrenic personality. The physical changes that overcome him are used to demonstrate the evilness of his new personality. The darker and more disfigured he became the more the evil personality took over. The fact that he makes this metamorphosis expresses Hawthorne's anti-transcendental philosophy, for if man is good by default how can he become pure evil and hate. Hester embodies another of Hawthorne's arguments against transcendentalism. By being shunned and an outcast of society, Hester doesn't exist in the oversoul. According to Thoreou, every person is part of the oversoul, so Hester is a paradox in transcendentalism. Dimmesdale acts as a foil for Hester, he is her opposite and creates a comparison between the two paths. The real mystery of the novel is Pearl, she embodies the place in which she was conceived. The wild and untamed spirit of nature is part of her and she expresses that in several different ways. The questions she asks of Hester and the way she poses them creates a sense of mystery about her. The questions about a "black man" creates the comparison between Dimmesdale and the devil, as if to suggest that Dimmesdale was the devil for creating the situation Hester was in.

The Puritan Boston setting is used as a comparison towards Hawthorne's present day New England society and the revival of some Puritan beliefs. The morals and beliefs that Hawthorne presents in The Scarlet Letter explain American society's views on topics such as sex. The Puritan roots have persisted even to this day, they were certainly evident in Hawthorne's time. The Scarlet Letter also acts as a criticism of the blind punishment and the hypocrisy of the Puritan society, by embodying the element of hypocrisy in the "angelic" minister Hawthorne shows the blind faith and assumptions of the society.

The novel which deals with inner conflicts, and human character evolution created an art form because of many factors. The use of a historical setting and "The Custom House" as an introduction creates a very believable historical account. The background of 17th century puritan Boston adds to the unique characterization and plot. The sparing use of the supernatural adds to the mystery and believability of the novel. The scarlet "A" on Dimmesdale's chest and Mistress Hibbins' image to the townspeople are two examples that subtly add a supernatural feel to the novel. As can be seen, The Scarlet Letter is classic American Literature and set the pattern for character development in novels.

As the previous examples have shown, the novel The Scarlet Letter is both a work of literary art, and it also provides a historical account of Puritan Boston. Although the story is fictional it is written with believable, dynamic characters. The themes that run throughout it convey Hawthorne's anti-transcendental message and also the impact that Puritan society has had upon current day America. While this book doesn't have the strongest plot, it succeeds in the areas in which Hawthorne was emphasizing.

Works Cited:
Robert Spiller, The Cycle of American Literature, p. 63-64