Ah, 420. My favorite day of the year.

I've been doing a lot of pseudo-philosophizing about the morality of getting high lately. I've come to a conclusion: life is all about getting high.

I went to the gym today and biked for 8 miles. I felt great afterwards. I believe the word for the feeling is "runner's high." Runner's high is a feeling you get as a result of the release of certain chemicals in your brain. It's just a chemical reaction, much like the chemical reaction that results in the feeling of euphoria after you pop a Vicodin.

At the gym, I saw my friend Kris. Kris was smiling ear to ear, telling me the latest about his little game with Stacey (see yesterday's daylog). The feeling of euphoria he gets from being a "playa" is a lot like the feeling of euphoria that comes with a blunt; it's just another chemical reaction in your brain triggering the release of hormones and secondary messengers that make you feel good. The feeling of satisfaction after getting laid is much the same. The feeling of contentment and happiness you get when you're with "that one special someone" is also the same. How is it that people can attach so much value and meaning to these things, while at the same time think drugs are the work of the devil?

Some people get high off of achievement. That feeling of contentment and satisfaction that comes when you know you've accomplished something worth accomplishing is yet another way to get high.

Some people get high off of sports. I can tell you from experience there is no feeling like that rush of adrenaline as you race neck and neck towards a finish line, or swim the 100 backstroke in the last meet of the season, or that rush of excitement as you feel a fishing rod start to bend with the classic signs of a fish on.

It's all just about getting that feeling.

Don't take this too seriously. Happy 420.