I must disagree.

I do not wish to make this a GTKY node, yet I fear I may not convey my feelings without it. Please bear with me. =]

All my life (or at least as long as I am aware,) I have suffered from some form of clinical depression, ranging from major depressive disorder (MDD) to dysthymia (a more off-and-on form of depression). I have also never suffered from any sort of anxiety, either.

In October 2001, I was prescribed Prozac for the above forms of depression, as well as to curb the bulimia nervosa tendencies I developed due to my depression. This medicine helped with my obsessions with my body, yet did not do nearly as much for my depression as the Paxil I was prescribed in February of 2002.

I must admit the side effects I suffered such as a decrease in appetite, sleep disturbances, and sexual problems, such as decreased ability to orgasm, are nothing to enjoy. Yet these are vastly outweighed by the advantages - improved concentration, a greater arousal during foreplay (which makes the orgasm problems a bit more bearable), and most of all, an elevation of mood to which I do not know a comparison.

I cannot give drugs all the credit for this, but I know that even a month's difference between Prozac and therapy (which included CBT and DBT) and Paxil and the exact same therapist.

I sympathize with those who have had unpleasant experiences with this medication, and I hope that they may find something better that works. If its not working, then find something that does. You do not have to live a sad life.