A six part-serial node cowritten (working without a net) by junkpile

Part 1:
Well, sure I'm curious. I mean, I wonder, of course I wonder what it would be like to run around, chase frisbees or whatever. But I can't. I mean, I've been in this chair my whole life so it's like questioning what if you had been born with gloves or whatever.

But, I'm asked that question all the time- "Do you wonder what it would be like to walk?" I'm sure people don't mean it in a bad way. It just comes out mean. So, I try not to get upset.

I have great biceps and can bench about 260, which is not bad. I can do the 400 meters in about 2 minutes, although there are some guys from the local VA who can beat me just coasting. I like the exercise, but I really don't have a lot in common with them.

part 3- Well, knowing what she thinks about it, I would tell her, --yes, people do judge the chair-first . To them I am the chair- or the "person in the chair"-inseperable. I cannot hide that and it begins and ends every conversation. People assume I am benevolent, I guess and always congratulate me on every effort.

"It's so great he can make it to a waterfountain!" " I can't believe he knows how to turn on a computer-that is so cool"

But it's ok- it's not like I want to be in her shoes (so to speak)- I have my own life to lead. There is plenty to me people don't know so I don't sweat people's perceptions.

Part 5 Since I wake up everyday this way, I will move on. Imagine if I can move past this chair- this disability- to be seen as only that guy who wears the green backpack with the Tony the tiger sticker on it.

If I could trade places with her for a day I would like to show people what it is like to talk to deaf people, or blind people without talking at them.

I am denied the privilege of "modeling" the appropriate behavior since I am special. I want the boring normalcy many people hate. Imagine the calm and security you get after you return from a long trip-fighting for luggage carts- trying to find the exit ramp from terminal 6- changing lanes in traffic you have never seen before- but now you are home- boring apartment- same old grocery store- same strange old people wandering around the strip mall- admit it- it's reassuring to find yourself in that place after a long trip..

It's that kind of "I sort of took it for granted" experience I am shooting for, and that's what I want. I just want to be part of the scenery. To be seen as the guy you almost fell over in aisle 4 and not the handicapped guy that you, ohmygod almost killed at the grocery store.