It was winter, almost a year ago. There had just been a pretty decent snowfall so the roads were strewn with jagged sticks and other debris. As a result, I popped a tire attempting the treacherous drive down my hill. Somehow I managed to wheedle the car into climbing the icy slope back to my house and called AAA.

Eventually, a burly black man with a gruff, Tom Waits-ish voice came to take away the destroyed tire and replace it with a new one. Since it was still snowing a little and the temperature was below zero I decided to keep him company. After making small talk about the woes of winter driving and the various accidents he had seen we somehow got onto the topic of relationships.

Him: So, you got a girlfriend?

Me: (Nervous laugh) No.

Him: Why not?

Me: Just haven't found anyone I'm interested in.

Him: (Thoughtful pause) You like boys?

Me: (More nervous laughter) I don't think so...

Him: Ya never know. You should go out...experiment. What do you do for fun?

Me: Go to see shows. Spend too much time online.

Him: Man, you should get out more. Go down to Greenwich Village. You'll find people- boys, girls, whatever. (Long pause as we shift uncomfortably in the cold) Yeah, well I had three wives. First one ran out on me, second one died of cancer, and the third one got shot in a crossfire. Loved 'em all. But the point is this: Bad things happen. Don't stop lookin' for that special someone to make them right. Now, I got me a new girl and we're as happy as can be.

Shortly after this exchange a call came over his radio to go off for another job. After he left I was inside warming up and I thought about what he had said. His words brought a new perspective to my situation and helped to reinforce my sense of optimism for the future. This can be considered a "thank you node" for that brief conversation in the dead of winter.