Delirium Tremens may be defined as
A state of fevered agitation, trembling of the appendages, hallucination and troubled consciousness, attributable to alcoholic intoxication.

Attributing Delirium tremens to caffeine withdrawal has also been mentioned however this is only related to sharing a single common symptom that is the first indicator of the condition : fine tremor. The "morning shakes", or any other name one assigns to this common after-effect of severe alcohol withdrawal is also experienced with withdrawal of stimulants (hence caffeine) and certain drugs like salbutamol (US : albuterol) used in the treatment of asthma as a bronchodilator.



Delirium Tremens is also a Belgian beer found within lovely white ceramic bottles with pink elephants on the label like a treasure of gold inside an unlikely chest. It was voted ‘Best Beer in the World’ by specialists in 1997. It is brewed using three different yeasts giving a light copper colour and a surprisingly compact and abundant head. Wheat and barley feature quite prominently in the blend and there is also a subtle hint of coriander and orange.

Above 9% alcohol content should explain the reason behind the name of this fabulous brew.

The beer is brewed by the Huyghe brewery, which has been in existence since 1654 and now exports 65% of their production from Belgium.