A carcinogen is anything that induces cancer. Carcinogens are usually thought of as chemical in nature, like benzene or tobacco smoke, but may also cause cancer through physical action, as with ultraviolet light or asbestos. Carcinogens do not tend to fall into deeper categories -- just as there are hundreds of kinds of cancer, there are hundreds (or thousands, or more) of vectors that may cause it to start.

Determining what agents are and are not carcinogenic is done by committee, through sort of an ad-hoc voting system. Two committees are responsible for this determination: internationally, the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), part of the World Health Organisation; and in the US, the Annual Report on Carcinogens done by the National Toxicology Program (NTP).

The IARC format is more widely used, and divides carcinogens into three categories. Category 1 carcinogens are those which have a determined relationship with cancer in humans; confirmed human carcinogens. Category 2A includes agents which have less evidence in humans, but are unequivocally confirmed carcinogens in animal studies; probable human carcinogens. Category 2B is for substances which have some evidence from animal experimentation, and are considered good candidates for further study; possible human carcinogens. Finally, there is Category 3, which I don't know much about except that their evidence for acceptance is considered "limited."

The NTP format is easier, with only two categories. These definitions are both copied directly from the NTP report. A, profiles for agents, substances, mixtures or exposure circumstances known to be human carcinogens. And B, profiles for agents, substances, mixtures or exposure circumstances reasonably anticipated to be human carcinogens. While the NTP report and format are less accepted by the world, it should be noted that the NTP leads the world in experimentation to determine toxicity and carcinogenicity.

Here are some of the more interesting and unexpected carcinogens from the lists: