When you go take a look at your circuit panel, you hope to see the names or symbols of the brands Murray, GE, or Square D. These are reputable companies that are still in business (at least in the USA). If you see FPE or Federal Pacific, you are living with circuit breakers that may not function properly.

Federal Pacific Electrical went out of business in the early 80's because of a class-action lawsuit that resulted from a bunch of fires in commercial properties due to faulty circuit breakers. Even if the circuit breakers in your home aren't faulty, you can't get replacement parts. And at least one of them is probably faulty, because testing revealed as many as 1 out of every 10 breaker doesn't work properly.

You can get these dangerous circuit breakers changed for roughly $600 (labor and materials). It's a pretty straightforward replacment for electricians, as long as there's nothing else wrong.

Additionally, recent building codes specify AFCI breakers to the bedroom. Like GFCI receptacles/breakers for the bathrooms that protect against shock, AFCI breakers protect against arcing, which can cause fires.


Fellow noder Transitional Man (who actually has electrician experience) recommends Square D, Siemens (except for Pushamatic), and Cutler Hammer circuit breakers.