Freyja (sometimes spelled Freya) is the wife of Od, who, while commonly mistaken for Odin and possibly a mythological predecessor, is not the same Deity. She is a Vanir (Odin was from the sometimes-opposing tribe of the Aesir), and Queen of the Valkyries. Freyja herself is oft-confused with the Aesir Goddess Frigga (who was the real wife of Odin), as both are feminine fertilitiy goddesses and many stories told of one could rather easily fit the other. Freyja, whose name means Lady, is the female counterpart and sister to Frey, the noble earth-Lord.

Freyja is the daughter of Njord and Nerthus, who were earlier and somewhat more dignified, as well as less sexual, gods of the Earth and fertility.

Freyja is the most beautiful of the Norse deities, and the Lady of love and fertility. She is the patron goddess of crops and birth, as well as the art of witchcraft. When her husband, Od, disappeared, she is said to have cried tears of gold. The lovely golden neckless of the Brisings she did indeed obtain by agreeing to sleep with four dwarves. She also owns a cloak of bird feathers that allows her to shapeshift into a falcon, as well as a great chariot pulled by two majestic cats. Freyja lives in the palace Folkvang, and her hall is Sessrumnir. She divides warriors who have died in battle with Odin, taking half to her hall, and women also come to her after death.

Her colours tend to be dark green, deep blue, light red, gold, and white. Her Tarot cards are The Lovers, The Moon, and the High Priestess, while her runes are Kenaz, Gebo, Elhaz and Ehwaz.