Born July 14, 1937
The eighty-fifth Prime Minister of Japan elected on April 5, 2000. (Liberal Democratic Party of Japan)
He based his economic and fiscal policies on promoting economic recovery after the crisis in the 90s. The policies center around four areas including promotion of the information-technology revolution.

Educational policy is one of his priority areas in his campaign for a "Rebirth of Japan." Mori chaired the Meeting of Heads of State and Government at the G8 Kyushu-Okinawa Summit leading to the creation of the Okinawa Charter on Global Information Society, G7 Statement on the World Economy, G8 Statement on Regional Issues, and G8 Statement on Korean Peninsula.

Minister Yoshiro Mori once described his nation, in a speech to a Shintoist association, as "a divine nation with the Emperor at its core," he set off a firestorm of controversy that outraged commentators both at home and abroad. He was accused by the London Times of being zenophobic. Some of the things he's said seems to try to justify Japan's aggression during WW II. Still his stance on globalization has proved to be slightly more labor-friendly than that of the US and other western nations so the verdict is still out on how he rates as a global leader.


"As the 20th century drew to its close, Japan, suffering from prolonged economic stagnation and in a state of uncertainty concerning the future of society as a whole, had lost its sense of confidence, and among the people was a pervasive feeling of deprivation. However, it is incumbent upon us to ensure that the 21st century is one where we will swiftly free ourselves from the fetters of such circumstances and create a 'Century of Hope' in which each and every person is able to hold and indeed live out their hopes and dreams."




sources:
www.kantei.go.jp/foreign/souri/mori/2001/0131siseihousin_e.html
www.antiwar.com/justin/j060700.html
www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2001/jeconomy/