In this dream:

I have a brief clip of movie and soundtrack stuck in my head, but I can't remember which movie it's from.

I am trying desperately to search the Internet for the answer, but in the same manner that you sometimes can't read or write properly in dreams, I can't operate the computer properly, and all I can get to is YouTube.

Eventually I get the words I think I need, "ewan macgreggor technicolor song about babboon" [sic], plugged into the little box and click search.

Instead of anything remotely like what I was searching for, I was treated to a movie trailer for Quentin Tarantino's latest film. It opens with the familiar text


The following PREVIEW has been approved for...

And suddenly, the music starts: it's the opening riffs of The Next Episode by Dr. Dre (ft. Snoop Dogg). Chunks of what will probably end up being the opening credits roll in olive drab on a khaki background.

BRINGING FREEDOM

A QUENTIN TARANTINO FILM

STARRING PAMELA ANDERSON and TOM CRUISE

(A PTSDsploitation film)

Pamela Anderson is rolling around on top of a sweaty, screaming Tom Cruise. Tom is wearing about twelve pairs of dog tags, and is covered in crude tattoos. A brief editing error momentarily shows that Pamela is wearing green skintight pants and that all nudity is CGI.

CUT to Pamela Anderson walking out the door, Tom out of focus in the foreground, head in hands and empty bottle overturned on the table.

CENTER WIPE to Tom sitting in the livingroom with a startling number of guns disassembled and laid out methodically. While he's cleaning and inspecting them,

NARRATOR: (tough guy voice) Sergeant Jake Strands had served quietly, honorably, and with distinction.

CUT to Tom receiving a medal.

NARRATOR continues: But even though his country was at peace, he could never forgive his enemies.

CUT to Tom racking the slide on a highly accessorized 1911; FAST CUT to airport ticket counter; FAST CUT to "AIR افغانستان" ticket with Tom's hand on it, a la Kill Bill; CUT to Tom sitting in business class with various Solder of Fortune cover models scattered around the cabin, rifles tucked away between arm rests.

NARRATOR continues: When an army fails, a soldier can succeed.

SMASH CUT to Tom screaming incoherently, eyes rolled back in his head, firing an RPG-7 from the hip.

CUT to black.


I'd watch it in theaters. Maybe some different actors. But hey, who am I to second guess dream Tarantino's choices?

A Tarantino flick capitalizing on the Afghanistan and Iraq wars beats any of the hokey, melodramatic tripe anyone else has managed to squeeze out with apparent sincerity in the last ten years. I'm looking right at you, Hurt Locker and all of your friends.

In any case, for the first time ever when an RPG was involved, I woke up laughing instead of raving. I tried so hard to go back to sleep so I could maybe watch the rest of the movie. It didn't work, but maybe Mr. Tarantino's people will read this and drop me a line.