The first to delve into mathematical coding in scriptures was Rabbi Judah the Pious in the 11th century. The consequence of his research was that 19 is a divine number.

In Quran exists a unique element, 29 chapters are prefixed with initials such as Alif Lam Meem, Qaf, Sad, etc. No one understood the significance or meaning of these letters and it remained a mystery to Muslims and orientalists alike.

Nine centuries after Judah the Pious, Rashad Khalifa, Ph.D in Chemistry, entered the Quran into a computer to find some significance or patterns by assigning numerical values to the Arabic alphabet. Aleph = 1, Bah = 2, Jeem = 3, etc.

Dr. Khalifa’s results were in harmony with Rabbi Judah the Pious significance of 19. Additionally, a very intricate mathematical pattern was discovered throughout the Quran.

Western knowledge of the code remained low. Only two publications circulated his results. Scientific American in September 1980. And in 1983 the Canadian Council on the Study of Religion reported in its Quarterly Review of April 1983 that the code Khalifa discovered is "an authenticating proof of the divine origin of the Quran."

Since 1983 little notice has been given to Dr. Khalifa work in the west. Regardless, he wrote six books spanning from 1973 till 1989:

1.MIRACLE OF THE QURAN: Significance of the Mysterious Alphabets, Islamic Productions, St. Louis, Missouri, 1973.

2.THE COMPUTER SPEAKS: God's Message to the World, Renaissance Productions, Tucson, Arizona, 1981.

3.QUR'AN: The Final Scripture, Islamic Productions, Tucson, Arizona, 1981.

4.QURAN: VISUAL PRESENTATION OF THE MIRACLE, Ibid, 1982.

5.QUR'AN, HADITH AND ISLAM, Ibid, 1982.

6.QURAN: The Final Testament, Ibid, 1989.

In the Middle East, Dr. Khalifa became famous. He often lectured in mosques and universities. His popularity began to wane as he accused traditional Muslim clergy of mixing tradition with religion, the only way to remedy this ill is to return to pure teachings of Quran. As a result, his life became threatened in a number of Muslim countries.

On early morning January 31, 1990, Rashad Khalifa was assassinated in his office in Tuscon, Arizona. There is a high probability that his assassins tried to stall his movement of rejecting tradition and returning to Quran.

The code in simple facts.

  1. There are 114 chapters in the Quran, or 19 x 6.
  2. The total number of verses in the Quran is 6346, or 19 x 334.
  3. Then you add the 30 different numbers which are mentioned in the Quran's text (i.e. one God, two brothers, etc.), the total is 162146 or 19 x 8534.
  4. The first statement in Quran, "In the name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful" consists of 19 Arabic letters. Known as the `Basmalah', it prefaces every chapter except Chapter 9.
  5. Though missing from Chapter 9, exactly 19 chapters later the Basmalah occurs twice. Chapter 27 has this statement at its beginning and in verse 30. This makes the total number of times the Basmalah occurs in the Quran 114, or 19 x 6.
  6. Since there are 19 chapters between the missing Basmalah and the extra one, the sum of those chapter numbers is a multiple of 19. (The sum of any 19 consecutive numbers is a multiple of 19.) But the total, 342, is also the exact number of words between the two occurrences of the Basmalah in Chapter 27. This number, 342, is 19 x 18.
  7. Every word in the Basmalah occurs throughout the Quran a number of times which is a multiple of 19.
  8. The very first revelation that was given to the prophet of Islam, Mohammed, came as 19 words.
  9. The total number of letters making up the 19 words of the first revelation is 76, 19 x 4.
  10. Though they were the first revelation, these verses are placed at the beginning of Chapter 96. This chapter is atop the last 19 chapters.
  11. Chapter 96 consists of 304 Arabic letters, or 19 x 16.
  12. The last chapter revealed (Chapter 110) has 19 words, and its first verse is 19 letters.
  13. God's name in Arabic, `Allah,' occurs in the Quran 2698 times, or 19 x 142.
  14. If you add the numbers of the verses where `Allah' occurs, the total is 118123 or 19 x 6217.
  15. The main message in the Quran is that there is only One God. The number of times that the word `one' is used to refer to this concept of One God is 19.
  16. The word `Quran' occurs in 38 different chapters, or 19 x 2.
  17. The total number of times `the Quran' is mentioned is 57, 19 x 3.
  18. Within the 114 chapters of the Quran, 29 of them begin with the Quranic initials discussed earlier. Intermixed between the first initialed chapter (Chapter 2) and the last initialed chapter (Chapter 68) are 38 non-initialed chapters, or 19 x 2.
  19. In that same group of chapters, from Chapter 2 to Chapter 68, there are 19 alternating sets of initialed and non-initialed chapters.
  20. The total number of verses making up this group of chapters is 5263, 19 x 277.
  21. Within this group of chapters there are also 2641 occurrences of the word `Allah', or 19 x 139. Of course, that leaves 57, or 19 x 3, occurrences of that word outside of this group.
  22. If you add the chapter and verse numbers of the 57 occurrences of `Allah' outside the initialed section, the total is 2432 or 19 x 128.
  23. There are a large number of discoveries having to do with the numbers of the chapters and verses. Many of them are very complex and interrelated. Here is a simple one to give you a feel for these discoveries: If you add the numbers assigned to all the chapters, plus the numbers assigned to all of the verses, plus the number of verses in the Quran, the total is 346199 or 19 x 19 x 959.
  24. If you look at the initialed chapters separately and add the chapter numbers, verse numbers and number of verses, the total is 190133, 19 x 10007. Of course it follows that the total for the uninitialed chapters, 156066, is also divisible by 19.

There are more discoveries being made, most new ones are more complex as Dr. Khalifa's work is advanced.

If this seem like a coincidence, then let us explore into Arabic initials discussed earlier.

  1. The initial `Q.' (Qaaf) There are several special phenomena having to do with the initial Q. Perhaps it can be seen as standing for Quran. This is especially so since there are two Q-initialed chapters, each with 57 (19 x 3) Q's in them. Thus, the total of Q's in both chapters is 114 (19 x 6), the same number as the number of chapters in the Quran. The fact that both Q-initialed chapters contain exactly 57 Q's is quite remarkable because the first of them (Chapter 42) is more than twice as long as the second (Chapter 50). There is another remarkable phenomenon in the sum of the number of each chapter with the number of verses in that chapter. Chapter 42 has 53 verses; 42 plus 53 is 95, 19 x 5. If we look at the other Q-initialed chapter, 50, it has 45 verses; 50 plus 45 is also 95.

  2. The initial `N.' (Noon) This initial prefixes only one chapter, number 68. The total number of occurrences of N in this chapter is 133, or 19 x 7.

  3. The initial `Saad.' (Saad)? prefixes three different chapters, 7, 19 and 38. The total occurrences of saad in these three chapters taken together is 152, or 19 x 8. Most of the time the initials occur together in sets. Next, we will examine some of these sets.

  4. The initial `Y.S.' (Ya Seen)These two initials are found at the beginning of Chapter 36. The number of times that these two letters appear in this chapter is 285, or 19 x 15.

  5. The initial `H.M.' (Haa Meem)This set of initials is found initializing the seven consecutive chapters 40 through 46. The total occurrence of these two in all of these chapters is 2147, or 19 x 113.

  6. The initial `Á.S.Q.' (Ayn Seen Qaf)Chapter 42 is the only chapter with a set of initials (H.M.) in the first verse and another (Á.S.Q.) in verse two. The number of times the letters of this second set of initials are in Chapter 42 is 209, or 19 x 11.