Safely Soldering

Many hobbyists and professionals alike take soldering for granted. Though indispensible for pipe welding and electronics kits, solder contains the powerful neurotoxin lead in high concentration. In addition, the flux or lubricant in solder, whether acid or rosin, corrodes the lungs and is carcinogenic.

The following safety guidelines, while facile, nevertheless protect the solderer from lead poisoning, fume inhalation, and third degree burns. Reason enough to don some solder kit.

First, I'd suggest buying an organic vapor mask with easily removeable cartridges to use indoors. Readily found at the local home improvement warehouse, these masks protect from flux and lead fumes if worn according to manufacturer's instructions. Before leaving the store, check to see if the filters properly screen a wide variety of organic fumes including lead. Please follow mask directions carefully. If the mask does not seal tightly to the face, fumes will leak in and render the mask useless. To test the seal, try to push the mask forward. If the seal is not easily broken, consider the mask properly installed. When working indoors, supplement the mask with moving ventilation. When done, store your mask in a resealable plastic bag to prevent filter oxidixation.

Second, invest in thick vinyl gloves and a nice pair of leather gloves. Gloves protect the skin from contact with solder, and, in the case of leather gloves, can protect against some burns. Thick gloves also come in handy when working outside. Remember to wash or discard gloves when finished, and wash hands thoroughly afterwards.

Thirdly, wear sufficient eye protection such as goggles or shatter resistant glasses. If applicable, remember to take your contact lenses out and wear your eyeglasses while working around solder fumes.

Finally, when done sweep up stray solder blobs and wire shavings. Children and pets alike love little shiny things, so a vigilant eye best protects against lead poisoning.

As always, curse when a tiny bit of solder sizzles off your thumb.