Quotes from Yasser Arafat

Addressing his people at a public event, July 2001

Kill a settler every day.... Shoot at settlers everywhere.... Woe to you if you let them reach their homes safely or travel safely on the roads.... I want you to kill as many settlers as possible.... Do not pay attention to what I say to the media, the television or public appearances. Pay attention only to the written instructions that you receive from me.

I am ready to kill for the sake of my cause; wouldn't I lie for it?

From December 18, 2001. Two days after his historic announcement (in arabic) that called for an end to suicide bombings and for a Palestinian state living side by side in peace with Isreal.

We with the help of God will meet next time in Jerusalem, because we are fighting in order to bring the victory to our prophets, every baby, every child, every man, every woman, and every older person, and all the youngsters, we will sacrifice ourselves for our holy places, and we will establish the guard on them, and are prepared to give 70 of our martyrs for every martyr of theirs in this campaign, because this is our holy land. We will continue to fight...

From a 1996 meeting with Arab diplomats

We the PLO will concentrate all our efforts on splitting Israel psychologically into two camps. Within five years we will have six to seven million Arabs living on the West Bank and in Jerusalem. The PLO plans to eliminate the State of Israel and establish a purely Palestinian State. We will make life unbearable for Jews by psychological warfare and population explosion; Jews won't want to live among Arabs.

From December 19, 2001

The Oslo Agreement is a Trojan horse with which to get senior Palestinian leaders into Israel. The intifada that the Palestinians began last year represents their coming out of the insides of the horse.

The Hamas movement is one of many patriotic movements. - May 25, 1997

The goal of our struggle is the end of Israel, and there can be no compromise. - March 29, 1970 in the Washington Post

You are the generation that will reach the sea and hoist the flag of Palestine over Tel Aviv. -- July 25, 1974

Peace for us means the destruction of Israel. We are preparing for an all-out war, a war which will last for generations. - Feburary 11, 1980

sources:

  • http://arabterrorism.tripod.com/quotes.html
  • http://www.bridgesforpeace.com/publications/dispatch/notablequotes/Article-7.html
  • http://www.unitedjerusalem.com/PLO_RECORD/Arafat_quotes_after_Oslo/arafat_quotes_after_oslo.asp
  • http://www.iris.org.il/quotes/allquotes.txt

It has been noted through /msgs that I have presented a biased picture of Yasser Arafat. It is true that I do not highlight quotes which are not controversial in nature. I have not quoted above some of his denouncements of terrorism, which are almost always in English and frequently followed by the same vitriolic antisemitism in Arabic later. Yasser Arafat has made several dovish comments in the press, which are quotable. However, it is my opinion that Arafat has one face for the West and one face for the Arab World. You may or may not agree with that.

It has also been noted that my sources speak of a bias. These sources were picked by typing Arafat quotes into google. I did not start visiting arabterrorism.tripod.com and then start noding.

However, all of these quotes are not by me. These are actual quotes by Yasser Arafat. If you do not like the slant of the node, please make a counter-point below. Simply downvoting facts you don't like seems silly to me.