I think it is important to mention that there are two components of FrontPage, a the web editing and management IDE, and then there are the server extensions. What's the difference?

The FrontPage editing environment is a fairly poor editing IDE when you compare to other options for professional development in the industry (GoLive and Dreamweaver come to mind as being far superior). It is very depreciated in the Microsoft Office suite with the onset of (slowly improving) HTML output quality across all of the applications. It allows you to manage a web site, veryify it's syntax, and publish across many web pages. There is another similar program from Microsoft in Visual Interdev, which is geared towards the code side of things. FrontPage is supposed to be a quick and dirty web solution with pre-hashed web objects and such to make a new web page (such as counters, or message boards).

The other component to the web system are the FrontPage Server Extensions, an add-on to IIS. This is HUGE for IIS web developers on a debugging (non-live) site, so that they can see the output of the code engines. Seeing an http error code 500 spit out of your page every time does not aid in debugging at all. It allows you to publish directly to that web site, and have finer tuning on the publishing mechanism (and you don't even need to do it from FrontPage). FrontPage server extensions are also available for Apache. I use these for my ASP page development, even though I loathe the Office Family member associated primarily with them.