While it's true that most Amish now hail from central Pennsylvania and parts of Ohio, the converse is not true - not all people from Central PA are Amish. In fact, we're really quite advanced, and have had widespread Cable Modem access since 96-97. Almost all residents do have electricity, and running water, although well water is not unheard of in the smaller boroughs. We drive automobiles, have jobs in factories, stores, and even *gasp*, technology-oriented businesses.

The night life is pretty dull though.

Plus, for raw speed and thrills this side of the Autobahn, you really can't beat roads like rt. 222 and rt. 283. Be forwared, as the PA police are quite nasty when it comes to speeders.

Unforutnately, the Amish can't take part in many of these activities. The only time that we ever really contact them is at farmer's markets (to the 2 or 3 elderly couples who go each weekend) or get stuck behind them in traffic. Trust me, there's nothing worse than being stuck behind Jacob and Mary Stoltzfus when you're late for work. Especially when the roads are so busy that it's impossible to pass the horse and buggy on either side, lest run off the road or be sideswiped several times by oncoming traffic. Oh, but there are times when that feels preferable to being stuck behind the damn horse and buggy.

The quickest way to tell the difference between tourists and residents are how they react with the horse and buggies. YES, it IS legal to pass them. You should try to do it as soon as possible, as well. Do NOT drive behind them taking pictures, as this only holds up the traffic for the rest of us. We live here, and we have places we need to be. Thank you.