Yesterday I didn't do much. Laid around with my mind on a predictable and not particularly thought loop. Today I'm happy to report that things are looking up, and I'm glad I took the day to recharge. I think I've mentioned that my boss used to work at a large store that rented videos, perhaps you've heard of it even though it is no longer in business. My new audiobook is The Millionaire Next Door, and I'm trying to imagine how much different my life would be today had I listened to this, or read the book when I was in my twenties. Back then I worked with a guy that I didn't really like. He was the nephew of our GM, he had an incredible work ethic, and I thought that I would never be able to achieve the things the guys I worked with did. Fast forward and now I'm kicking myself for not sticking with that culture because it is really a fabulous one in terms of time management and goal achievement.

After my showdown with my current DM, my boss urged me to use it as fuel to improve. As hard as that was to hear, he's right. It's what I need to do, but I'm putting my own twist on it. TMND explains that you can use three words to describe these people; frugal, frugal, frugal. A lot of people talk about saving money, but like myself, they fail to realize that time is money. One of the guys I work with is a teenager, and he just took home a $4K paycheck. The money is out there, and I want a larger piece of it. I need to earn more, spend less, and better internalize the building blocks and habits behind this lifestyle. It's not a pretty one, nobody is going to admire your cool car or awesome wardrobe, but you will have money in the bank, and a higher standard of living since your financial stress levels will be reduced. The book emphasizes that it isn't what you earn, it's what you accumulate. How much of what comes in are you hanging onto, and how much is leaving you forever?

It's kind of funny that a lot of these things coalesce in an interesting way. Eating less is more frugal, coincidentally, it will also help you lose weight. Being more active will enhance your immune system, it will also be better for your body and mind, and if I can combine these two, I'll be in a better place than I was before. I need to start seeing the potential in myself rather than just the potential in others. Previously my vision was external, now I'm going to turn it inward. Today I participated in a training session that went over the new Apple watch. I've wanted one for a long time, but like the Fitbit, someone else in my house got it instead of, or in addition to me. I didn't value myself enough to invest in that because I couldn't get past the sticker price. It was silly of me to pass on a device that I probably really would have enjoyed, however, if I want a watch, I need to come up with the money for the device, and the monthly service charges so that's a hurdel in my way.

Would The Millionaire Next Door spend money on a watch and service, or would that person find another way to achieve their diet and exercise goals? I think I know the answer to that one, but I can also see how it could help me be more accountable. Is this trying to justify a purchase I would be better off passing on, or is this device something that would help me track what I'm already doing and help me get to the next level and beyond? Christmas is coming, and I have a birthday right after that. Something to think about before December...

Xoxo,

J

P.S. I haven't painted anything in a while. So many things to do, but I feel much better about life than I did even twelve hours ago so that's a big win, and I'll take it.