Deinonychus was also an excellent gothic/ doom metal band from the Netherlands.

Distinguished by unique 'mournful' vocals from founding member Marco Kehren, their music ranges from up-tempo, eerie numbers (particularly on the album 'The Ark Of Thought') to crushingly deep and slow ('Insomnia'). Were it not for the unequivocally depressing atmosphere, one might be tempted to describe their sound as 'rockin'. It does, in fact, rock quite steadily.

Typically, the sound is composed of mellow distorted guitars, overbearing Gothic keyboard (protracted chorus 'oohs' being particularly common, also strings), fast and uncompromisingly repetitive drumming occasionally giving way to slow, waltz-like rock (although it should be noted that virtually everything is presented in 4/4). But it is the haunting vocals that really give Deinonychus its character. Kehren's voice ranges from a morbid croak to unabashed wails of anguish, with very little in between. In the profoundly Gothic early days of the band, when vampirism was a key theme, he sported a long and quite fetching mullet that trailed like a windswept fountain of hirsute agony over the breast of supine maidens (on album covers).

The casual listener will soon be nodding grimly along to the curious melodies, enthused by the improbable groove underlying each mournful dirge.

Discography

The Silence Of December 1995

When The Rain Falls 1996

The Weeping Of A Thousand Years 1996

Ark Of Thought 1997

Deinonychus 1999

Mournument 2002

Insomnia 2004

Warfare Machines 2007

As of 2008 Deinonychus is no longer a band. Kehren can also be heard on the Bethlehem album 'Sardonischer Untergang Im Zeichen Irreligioeser Darbeitung' (S.U.I.Z.I.D).