The question most people have after getting over their revulsion is, "What does it taste like?". It looks and tastes like very heavily seasoned ground beef or lamb. That is the best description for the haggis neophyte I can produce without getting death threats from angered Scots. The taste is very moreish but not overwhelming, although I suspect most people have the same attitude to it that they do sushi. (they hate it until they try it)

Haggis is available wrapped in a plastic membrane in addition to the traditional forms (and not so-traditional tinning). Although you can boil it, I prefer to slice open the plastic, dump the delicious contents into tin foil, wrap it up tight and place in the oven at about 200 degrees for 90 minutes. The result, when unwrapped, has a slightly crispier outer shell which makes the texture more interesting. Fluff it up with a fork, and serve. With bashed neeps and tatties.

Haggis, deep fried, is a fantastic Scottish delicacy to be consumed while severely under the influence. Resembling a huge battered sausage, you simply pick it up bare-handed from its chip-filled styrofoam bed and bite into the goodness. Now, stumble over to a freezing cold bench in St Enoch Square and eat. The alcohol in your body is soaked up by the minced animal parts, and you are quite content and stuffed after finishing.

I urge you to try haggis, with mashed potatoes and some nice whisky. If it's your first time, you are forgiven for the use of coke in the whisky, or ketchup in the haggis. Just don't let anyone see you.