I suggest a possible solution to the dualism question (i.e. on whether the mind is made of matter, or of some other kind of substance). It has become common knowledge that brainwaves can be measured when humans think or feel. Doctors know enough to predict that when people feel certain emotions or work on certain types of problems, these brainwaves will appear in certain parts of the mind. Furthermore, they know that these brainwaves result from electrical impulses travelling down neurons, which in turn are arranged in patterns.

It turns out that computers work in much the same way, except that the electrical connections of a computer are both fewer and static. In the world of computing, the important objects (eg processes, files and messages) are made of information. If they can be said to have any connection to the physical world, it is that their storage consists of arrangements of physical media. In fact, a file is considered to persist when it is moved from one storage medium to another, or from one part of a storage medium to another. We know that these objects exist because they persist through time, that they can be detected and changed using CPU hardware and that they can interact with each other. Clearly, they have a different type of existence, which I call an informational existence.

I suggest that the human mind and the mental objects within it have the same sort of informational existence as the virtual objects on a computer. It is not made of a different type of substance, but rather is made of persistent arrangements of physical reality. This requires a leap of faith because we haven't figured out how to create artificial intelligences, but at this point the leap isn't very large. Perhaps we should call it a hop of faith.