F-15C

Manufactured by the famous McDonnell Douglas aircraft company (made famous by the F-4 Phantom) the upgraded F-15C took to the air in February 1979. Designed to be America's foremost air superiority fighter the F-15C Eagle has done it's job well. With excellent visibility, avionics, agility, and an M61 Vulcan 20-mm cannon mounted on the inside of the right wing, its only slight disadvantage in a dogfight is its immense size and radar cross section. But then again, size isn't much of an issue when you can destroy your prey at up to 45 miles away.

The newer C model Eagle has gotten an improved APG-70 radar with longer range, good "lookdown/shootdown" capability, and more reliability. The only drawback is that the radar is only foward looking, as is the case with almost any fighter. The F-15C, like the E variant has a Tracor AN/ALE-45 chaff and flare dispenser positioned right behind the nosewheel doors. The fuselage itself is made mostly of composites, titanium, and steel.

The Eagle has enormous power and can outrace almost any aircraft-for a short period of time. When travelling more economically, the Eagle can make a transatlantic flight without aerial refueling. The new Su-27 Flanker (the Eagle's current nemesis) can outclimb it, and can be equiped with longer range weaponry than the Eagle, but normally carries similar armament. As for now, almost 100 aircraft have been downed by Eagles (not neccessarily American ones) without an aerial loss of their own. In the Gulf War alone, 32 Iraqi aircraft were downed by the Eagle. Exports of the fighter have been made to Israel, Saudi Arabia, and Japan, and production of the F-15 has surpassed 1000. The Eagle is due to be replaced over the next couple of decades or so by F-22 Raptor.

Specifications:

Type: Single-seat air-superiority fighter

Powerplant: Two 23,760-lb.-thrust Pratt and Whitney F100-PW-220 afterburning turbofans.

Max Speed: 1,650 mph (roughly Mach 2.5)

Range: More than 3,565 mi. with external fuel tanks.

Service Ceiling: 60,000 feet (although can climb up to 98,400 ft.)

Weapons: One 20-mm M61A1 Vulcan cannon; up to four AIM-9 Sidewinder missiles; up to four AIM-120 AMRAAM missiles; pylons for up to 1,500 lb. of bombs, rockets, and missiles.

Weights: Empty-28,160 lbs. Max Takeoff-67,870 lbs.

Dimensions:
Span 43 ft.
Length 64 ft.
Height 18 ft.
Wing Area 608 sq. ft.