Growing up (hmm...I'm only 18 now, but still...) , I listened more or less solely to jazz. I sat around after elementary school and listened to my father's vinyl copies of Sonny Rollins, John Coltrane, John MacGlaughlin, Ravi Shenkar, Herbie Hancock, and Miles Davis.

I still love that music very much, and although there has been some underground advancement in the world of jazz, by musicians like Pat Metheny, Medeski, Martin and Wood, King Crimson and the Brecker Brothers, i have found that the music that most similarly follows jazz agression, technique, and complexity on a mainstream level is some of the heaviest, most agressive music out on the market.

Bands such as System of a Down, who incorporates operatic and classical influence into their music, Rage Against the Machine, whose guitar player Tom Morello has played studio guitar for everyone from Jimmy Page to Class of '99, Soundgarden, whose deep lyrics and super-complex time signatures and guitar tunings are without equal, and especially Tool, who play possibly the most complex music on the mainstream market. It's odd for me, to think that possibly the most talented musicians in rock and roll today also must bear the brunt of the elder generation's attack on modern music. This attack to me seems highly misdirected. If one wants to complain about modern crappy music, why not attack bands like Third Eye Blind, who use the same repetative chord changes in every song, or the Pop-punk explosion bands like Blink 182, NOFX, and MXPX, who all sound the same and seem to have all the same message, if we could only deduce what it was. I admit that there is a lot of non-musicianship crap in the hardcore market as well, but one must take the good with the bad in all things, yes?