Electrical Polarity

The source and destination of electron flow arbitrarily defined as Negative (-) as the source of electrons or EMF which flows through a circuit until it reaches the Positive (+) of the power supply.

The effects of electron flow direction are not obvious and for this reason (there is no obvious difference), many, perhaps the majority of circuits, are designed as if positive electricity flowed through the circuit downward toward the negative, which is often common ground or an actual connection to the earth which has a negative charge. Benjamin Franklin defined the polarity of electricity, and clouds may be positively charged, even though it "seems obvious" that lightning falls from the sky.

In AC circuits, the polarity reverses usually twice the rate of 50 or 60 times, one Hertz or cycle involving a positive half followed by a negative half. Since low frequencies are larger in wavelength and less affected by reactance (imaginary- heatless-resistance), aircraft may use 400 Hz frequency AC so the reactive circuits especially transformers are much less massive. AC is more complex than DC but used for power because it is less affected by real resistance which wastes so much heat that DC can not follow long wires without losing most of its power heating up the wires. AC overcomes resistance by using a transformer to reversibly exchange heat-producing current for voltage, which can push less current through more wire and thereby reduce total power loss.