The Big Lebowski is my favorite movie. Now, lots of people have favorite movies, so why am I bothering to even write this here? I am writing because watching The Big Lebowski was a life-changing experience for me, an epiphany, if you will. Contrary to the impression one might get from The Big Lebowski Phenomenon my epiphany occurred immediately after my first viewing of the film.

When I came out of the movie theater that night it hit me. I had been "way too uptight" about life. I was always trying to figure out how to get from here to there in this journey of life, always making mental lists of goals, always trying to move towards them, and getting really stressed if I wasn't making visible progress. Now I don't know if this was the "intended message" of The Big Lebowski, but what it made me realize is that life is crazy.

Essentially, the whole story in The Big Lebowski is driven by The Dude's quest to get his rug back/replaced. How simple can it be? Yet this simple quest starts a chain of events precipitated by a convoluted web of interests and parties that none of the characters, or the audience could have predicted. And isn't that how life is? Even when doing the simplest task, circumstances you are unaware of are influencing you in subtle and not so subtle ways (see chaos theory).

At that very moment that I realized this, I was transformed. Life is complicated and unpredictable enough without us making it even more so. So just chill out and try your best to get your rug back, but don't be surprised is some crazy shit happens along the way.