Literary Analysis: A Passage To India

Title and Author

The title of the novel is A Passage To India. The author is E.M. Forster.

Historical/Cultural Context

The novel serves as a commentary on the cultural relationship between the Indians and the British in India. The novel was written in 1924, at a time when relations between Indians and British were not at their best. The ideas were being formed at that time that would eventually lead to the expulsion of the British from India. Forster's perspective was that of a non-typical British person - he was not prejudiced, and sympathized with India. The author's cultural bias is never revealed; reading the novel, one would not suspect that he is British (if not for his writing style). If there exists any bias at all, it is toward the Indians. The work is set in the culture of India, at the time of British rule - one must understand the relationship between the British and the Indians politically and socially in order to understand the cultural context of the novel. The higher sociopolitical status of the British creates the rift between individual Indians and British that can be seen in the novel.

Setting

The time is early 20th century. The place is Chandrapore, India (mostly). If it's not Chandrapore, it's somewhere else in India.

Narrative Point of View

The narrative point of view is third person limited. Although there is a non-character narrator, it does not know the thoughts and feelings of individual characters. The characters' thoughts and feelings are revealed through their own dialog.

Protagonist

The protagonist of the novel is Dr. Aziz, an Indian who lives in Chandrapore. He is Muslim, which further illustrates the rifts within India (not only between Indian and British, but between Muslim and Hindu). He is friends with Fielding, and then isn't, and then can't be. He was married, but his wife died. He has children. He is willing to go the extra mile to impress, and gave Fielding his collar stud from his own collar.

Other Characters

The antagonist in the novel is the British rule of India, symbolized by Ronny. His treatment towards individual Indians is a microcosm of the treatment of India by Britain. The British rule of India is the root of all problems for the characters in the novel; Mrs. Moore sees the treatment of Indians and wants to help; Aziz is accused of rape and basically treated like an Indian; most importantly, Fielding and Aziz cannot be friends while one is inherently `better' than the other.

Mr. Fielding is a static supporting character; the principal of the government college, he stuck to his principles the entire time, even when circumstances changed. It was only by the end that he realized, as well as did Aziz, that they could not be friends as long as Britain ruled India.

Mrs. Moore is a static supporting character; she serves as a foil to Ronny. Her sympathy for the Indians, and for India itself, contrasts sharply with the condescending and prejudiced way that Ronny treats Indians.

Conflict/Resolution

  • Person vs. Person: Ronny vs. Aziz (symbolically, Ronny represents Britain and Aziz represents India, thus revealing a conflict that is part of a larger one). After Aziz is finally freed, his reputation is restored. He has won the battle for his own honor, and therefore won the war.

  • Person vs. Society: Aziz vs. the British (not only do the British assume he is guilty, Aziz has a very anti-British attitude as well.) Even Aziz's innocence in the crime cannot redeem the British in his eyes - he refuses to befriend Fielding again, inciting only anger. His anger for the British culminates in an argument with Fielding at the end.
  • Person vs. Nature: Ralph Moore vs. the Bees... Bees attack Ralph Moore. The sensitive man goes to Aziz for help. They become quite chummy.
  • Everybody vs. God: God seems to command all different types of people to do all sorts of contradicting things - everyone in the novel is a sinner according to someone else. The only possible resolution to this is a mutual acceptance of other religions and beliefs. This tolerance has yet to reach India.
  • Person vs. Technology: Ralph, Aziz, Fielding, and Stella vs. The Boats. The boats crash. But everybody is okay. Fielding and Aziz could be friends… in another time and place, perhaps.
  • Person vs. Self: Aziz vs. Himself. His internal conflict is his decision to hate the British, while still caring about his friendship with Mr. Fielding. He ends up resolving that by trying to hate Mr. Fielding as well.
  • Climax

    The climax is the point (on page 355) at which Aziz and Fielding become friends again, but agree to disagree. Unfortunately, they realize that they cannot be friends under the circumstances. They part on good terms, and end the novel.

    Theme

    One theme of the novel is that a forced and unnatural blend of cultures cannot exist. The British culture superimposed over the existing Indian society basically turns India into a muddle, like lemon juice in milk. Or like mango in ghee. Either way, it just doesn't work.

    Another theme is that personal relationships create meaning in life. Like Virginia Woolf, Forster illustrates the effect of friendship on life. Religion, race, color, and class are things that mean nothing - they still don't change who your friends are. The bond between Aziz and Fielding bypassed all of those qualities.

    Memorable Moments

    I found the boat accident on page 353 to be quite memorable. It was like two strands of thread that ran from two different strings coming off of the same rope finally hit each other again, and turned back into a rope. Two storylines literally collided, bringing the novel to a close.

    Also, the description of the aftermath of losing Miss Quested from the perspective of Aziz (on page 171) was memorable because of its sense of urgency. The words themselves almost jumped to conclusions, and foreshadowed Aziz's trial.

    Notable Quotes

    One notable quote is “Aziz could not understand this, any more than an average Christian could.” (341) This reveals that although Aziz is Indian, he is completely different from the Hindus.

    Another notable quote is “`Jump on, I must have you,' screamed Aziz, beside himself.” (144, referring to Fielding) This reveals the bond that Aziz and Fielding have, that supersedes any artificial anger they have toward each other because of who they are.

    Literary Elements

    The work is structured in three parts, like Woolf's To The Lighthouse. The three-part structure allows Forster to skip through time without a good explanation.

    The use of personification throughout the novel creates an effect of humanizing nature, or giving life to the entire world. Nature has more significance, and is on an equal level with any human entity. The whole world is united on a spiritual level through the living world, and the worldly conflict is proven to be that much less permanent or necessary.

    Significance of Title

    “A Passage to India” suggests that there is more than one `passage' - there is more than one viewpoint to see India from, and there is more than one way to interpret the muddle. Forster's novel is merely one way to do so. The passage, much like the passage of time in To The Lighthouse, shows how the world and nature can cause people to change.

    Parallels to Other Works

    It ties closely with To The Lighthouse, because of the recurring themes of interpersonal relationships as well as writing style. The `passage' that the characters must undergo is similar in both works.

    The novel, while vastly different from Dante's Inferno, still incorporates some elements of the journey. Similar to Dante, the characters must take the path that is laid out for them. Just as Dante must follow Virgil through Hell, Aziz and Fielding cannot be friends; it is fate, and circumstance.


    My own opinion is that A Passage to India is an excellent book. It's also a movie that I've only seen part of, but wasn't overly impressed with. Read the book. :)