Living Well is the Best Revenge

A noder wrote a piece and this is an expansion of what I wrote in the comment box under the piece's title: There are many reasons why we don't remember childhood things that others can relate very matter-of-factly. My mother's had Narcissistic Personality Disorder and other mental illnesses all her life. For this reason, I grew up really fast. I was only eight years old and was washing dishes (could never get them done "fast enough" nor "just right") and also vacuuming, dusting, washing clothes and more. All the time mom lay on the couch; turns out she was depressed. She manufactured "migraines" to explain her lethargy.

Does this sound like you? Of course the bonfire, reminiscing with friends never happened. In my case none of my friends were "good enough" and the thought of me being away for a day (or just a night) scared the shit out of her.

Mind you, it took 15 years of therapy to discover a lot of this stuff. My brother, sadly, fell into her clutches when he was old enough to do housework and didn't balk the way I did as I matured; so I was cast aside like so many soiled rags, but for being assigned some kind of busy work in the messy yard outside.

It occurred to me you might wanna know where dad was; he quickly realized that the office job he had would mean he'd have to be home every night, so he took a job that entailed a lot of traveling. He got to escape during the week. He repaid my brother and I for leaving us with her by taking us out to places that on his modest salary he couldn't afford. We'd all have to lie about being at the Chinese Restaurant or (Heaven forbid!) Coney Island amusements upon returning home. We all knew there'd be hell to pay for "leaving her alone" for any amount of time at all.

When my father died two years ago, mom didn't weep. In fact, she shocked the 350 or so funeral-goers with her behavior; that of a Queen receiving guests. She sat, basking in the attention after the service (there were no calling hours).

It disgusts me (and shocked my therapist) that I moved her to be near me after his death. It's taken me two years to finally assert myself; she no longer calls twice daily and wanders into my place of business with a taxi waiting outside that she didn't have the cash to pay for. (Oh, she's got plenty of cash; it's just in the bank and she assumes that if she shows there's just a dollar in her change purse someone will come to her rescue.) Oh, how magnificent it was to be able to say "mom, get back in the car and have him take you to the bank so you can get some cash for yourself." (Instead, it turns out, she borrowed the fare from the receptionist at her Senior Living Center and just stayed home. I wonder if she ever paid it back.)

I'm no Saint; nope. Mom reminds me of that nearly as often as we talk lately. But heck, I'm re-living my childhood the way I wanted it to be. I treat myself well. Heck, there's truth in the words attributed to Grace Kelly, "living well is the best revenge.*" It sure is. My teddy bear concurs.
 

*Turns out one George Herbert, a member of the clergy and a poet, first wrote this, one of my favorite sayings; not Grace Kelly. Herbert lived (well, one would assume) from 1593-1633. It also turns out that those clever boys in the rock group R.E.M. wrote a song with that saying as a title.