GMI Engineering and Management Institute (formerly General Motors Institute), nowadays called Kettering University, is an engineering/applied science/management school located in Flint, MI. Originally founded by Major Sobey, a believer in the strengths of a cooperative education (read co-op/internship education) as the Flint Institute of Technology, General Motors was a believer in the idea and eventually bought the school out.

Until 1982, GMI was a training ground for GM workers who wanted to become engineers. In the late 1950s/early 1960s, GMI sought ABET accreditation and eventually received it. In the auto industry, GMI was referred to as "The Academy" -- the place to go to truly learn the art of automotive engineering. Graduates could look forward to high-level positions with GM or other auto companies.

However, in 1982 General Motors decided it needed to cut costs, and turned the university loose, a shock it is still recovering from. Renamed GMI, it sought corporate sponsors for its co-op students. It branched out, but the automotive focus never truly disappeared.

GMI alumni, sadly, are known for two things -- being the largest percentage of alumni going into the Harvard Business School from any college, as well as being the largest percentage of alcoholic alumni.