In the Church of All Worlds, the unit of local organization. A nest has at least one 4th Circle member (a Scion and has been meeting for at least a full year. A proto-nest has three active CAW members meeting once a month.

Also (probably first used in Stranger in a Strange Land, but I used nest this way before reading said book), a term used to refer to an unusually arranged sleeping area/thing to sleep on. A nest is often different from a neat, organized, made bed. It could be as simple as a very large pile of pillows on the floor, or as complex as a queen-size bed with body pillows encircling and several different twin-size blankets. When done properly, it can be quite relaxing to sleep in one, snuggled within all the pillows and blankets.

Advantages:

  • Once you figure out what works for you, you will find sleep more relaxing.
  • It's cozy.
  • Depending upon the layout, a nest can be ideal for other activities, such as reading.
  • In my experience, I don't move around quite as much in one, which means that I have to get the bed back into shape.
  • Obviously, it's fully custom.

Disadvantages:

  • It's hard to bring it with you on the road, and you might not adapt well to life without it.
  • It might not adapt that well to guests.
  • Your body will tend to find the most comfortable way to rest. With an ordinary bed, your options tend to be limited. With a nest, you might wake up sideways on the bed.
  • It's not what society expects a bed to look like -- and in some cases this may mean you will have to make the bed daily.

My favored method:

  1. Take two pillows, stack them, and place them approximately in the head position.
  2. Take two fairly large blankets, roll them up, place them to each side like a body pillow.
  3. Place a relatively small/flat pillow under the feet.
  4. Take a light comforter (duvet for those of you elsewhere) or a thin blanket. Put it on top. (The other blankets, though rolled, will keep you plenty warm in many cases.)