Shock value is something that has always been a part of, and probably always will be a part of rock and roll music. Everything from Elvis thrusting his hips suggestively to Iggy Pop mutilating himself with broken glass (a move stolen by Marilyn Manson) to the very name itself, an old-school slang term for having sex.

The examples are limitless and varied. From The Velvet Underground romanticizing bondage and heroin usage to Darby Crash covering himself with peanut butter and licorice and falling from high places, to the Plasmatics cutting TVs in half with chainsaws and driving buses through walls of flaming TVs, shock value is something that has always been a part of rock and roll. But there's shock with a purpose - like the Dead Kennedy's offensive name and lyrics, which were used to get people to pay attention to their music and Jello's political ideas - and then there's shock with no purpose other than to get kids to buy records and worship satan. Good examples are Marilyn Manson, Rob Zombie, Slipknot, and basically any type of new music that could be considered a hybrid of metal and another genre: hip-hop, hardcore, whatever. It's all the same bullshit.

There's nothing wrong with pissing people off. But if you're not doing something constructive at the same time, what's the point?