Thyme - Thymus vulgaris

Thyme is a small shrubby plant with a strong, spicy taste and odour. It grows numerous woody, quadrangular stems which are finely haired and are 6 to 10 inches tall. The leaves are slightly downy on top and are very downy underneath, and have slightly rolled edges. The small flowers grow in head-like clusters and are bluish-purple in colour. They bloom from May to September.

This herb is anthelmintic, antispasmodic, carminative, diaphoretic, expectorant and sedative. The macerated oil, when blended with lavender and used in a warm bath will ensure a good night's sleep. As a tincture, extract or infusion, thyme can be used for acute bronchitis, laryngitis, whooping cough, diarrhea, chronic gastritis and lack of appetite. A warm infusion will promote perspiration and relieve flatulence and colic. The oil is used in mouthwashes and toothpaste, are also effective against ascarids and hookworms. It can be used externally to treat warts or to encourage the flow of blood to the surface. Thyme baths can be helpful for neurasthenia, rheumatism, paralysis, bruises, swelling and sprains. It is used to treat skin, urinary and respitory infections because it is antimicrobial and strengthens the immune response.

As with basil, undiluted thyme oil may irritate sensitive skin.