This is a review of a review.

I decided to go listen to the piece after reading the writeup above by npecom, whose description is beautiful in itself.

My knowledge of classical and instrumental music can be written on one side of a cue card with space to spare. Evidence of my ignorance is that they are pretty much the same to me since they emphasize instruments rather than singing. However, I really like movie soundtracks and there is a portion of this piece that sounds familiar, I suppose it is the adagio. I cannot recall which movie it is though.

It is probably no surprise that since the composer and the piece both have Spanish names, the writeup should be linked in my mind with my (little) knowledge of things Spanish. However, what came most strongly to mind is James Michener's novel Mexico. That book was about bullfighting in Mexico. There is a Hispanic commentator in the book whose commentaries on the sport use the sort of affected language that is normally used in describing art. However, where such language seems pompous for art, and should be mocking when used for a sport as gory as bullfighting, in the book, that commentator makes it seem apt. It also reminded me of a book about boxing. It is a collection of essays called The Sweet Science by A. J. Liebling, who was a writer for the New Yorker in the 1950s. The essays were written in a simple style. But the writer's interest in and knowledge of his subject made the writing beautiful because it was so spare yet so rich. Like what I imagine a good wine would be. A subject which I know even less about than classical music.