Predator (1987) - Weasello Rating: {>>>>} (oh yes baby) {{ Sequel }}
Please note that this review is laden with spoilers.

Predator Injury Count: The Predator keeps himself suprisingly untouched throughout the movie, thanks to his dense-jungle hunting grounds. He is shot once in the leg, thrown/fell to the ground twice by explosions, and had a giant log dropped on his head. Arnie also landed a few square punches on his mandible-encrusted maw (and perhaps one kick to his chest). The Predator does himself in with a good self-nuking.

Body count: 10, plus one entire guerilla encampment of approximately 30 to 50 people. This combined body count surpasses even Jason's killing sprees!

Plot Outline: I first saw this movie when I was about 10 or 11 years old and I turned it off and ran to bed crying within 15 minutes. Now, a bristling young 22-year-old, I return to review the scariest movie of all time.

OK, so maybe I was a little premature running to bed like I did. This movie is no longer scary at all, and I have been since desensitized to the gore that once scared me away. This movie is littered with skinned humans, bloody skulls, and gaping chest wounds, to name a few.

The plot is that of a regular action movie; a commando unit is called in to rescue a downed helicopter, only to find (and obliterate) a guerilla encampment and no sign of the flight crew. Many shell casings later, they find they are being hunted by an invisible man - or alien, as it turns out. The fact that this thing bleeds green put this movie in the "Sci-Fi" section of the video store instead of the "Action" section where it belongs.

After the commando unit and all extras are dispatched, Arnie (being the lead role) is faced to fight one-on-one with the Predator. Shedding his tri-laser-missle and various piercing weapons, the Predator decides to play it fair and go at it with fisticuffs. Arnie is no match but lures the Predator into a trap, ultimately winning the battle. But we all knew he would, didn't we?

All in all this is one of the best actions movies I have seen. Even though it is more than 10 years old, it was suprisingly un-dated, and only had a few stereotypical characters that placed it in the eighties. The special effects were akin to an early 90's film and were suitably impressive. The atmosphere, music, and general production of this movie are superb.

Interesting Notes:
  • Blain wears an MTV T-Shirt throughout the movie.
  • When invisible, the Predator always moves in slow-motion. Most of the time, the scenery around it moves at regular speed - giving its crazy tree-acrobatics the appearance of defying gravity! Of course, this is an alien race we are talking about; perhaps they have personal anti-grav devices.
  • In this movie, a mere layer of mud applied to your exposed skin and clothing will not only mask, but completely eradicate your entire heat signature.
  • The Predator laughs maniacally towards the end of the movie. Actually, it's more of a maniacal giggle than a laugh.
  • This movie contains some of the craziest, most erratic helicopter flying I have seen in a movie. I am suprised there were no accidents, particularly in the formation flying near the beginning of the movie.
  • Mac disturbingly shaves himself at inappropriate times throughout the movie.
Fun Quotes!
  • "I ain't got the time to bleed." - Blain
  • "You're one ugly mother fucker." - Dutch to the Predator
  • "This stuff'll make you a goddamn sexual Tyrannasaur, just like me." - Blain
Lead roles: Directed by: John McTiernan

Writing credits: Jim Thomas (I) & John Thomas (V)

Tagline: Nothing like it has ever been on earth before.
Sources: The oh-so-wonderful IMDB, my head, and the box.