My everyday carry knife

My № 8 Opinel is the one knife I always have on me. The shape of the blade make it ideal for cutting and slicing food (I've used it in restaurants when their provided cutlery is not up to the task of cutting meat and the like). The blade size of 3.28 inches and the shape of the handle make it ideal for this and many other tasks. At the farmers' market it has use for sampling veggies, cutting ropes and breaking down boxes. At one market, one of our chefs was impressed that I owned and used an Opinel (he was French born and bred and the same model was his first childhood knife, given to him by his father). It's another of those iconic everyday designs that have become popular worldwide, not to mention they are inexpensive enough that you can buy a couple and have a backup or lend-knife.

Is it then the perfect knife? By no means — you're not going to be prying lid of paint can with this, or cutting electrical wires, but for the camping kitchen and general light use it is perfect. It gets more use than my Victorinox Swiss knife (although I have to say the scissors there give it good carry value). Out of the box it was sharp enough to shave arm hair and provided you take care of it, it will provide good service for years. I used to have the next size up, the № 9 in my camping kitchen kit. It handled all the everyday needs or prepping veggies and slicing meat. 10/10 would thoroughly recommend an Opinel.



xclip -o | wc -w
273