At last, typing "fuck" actually does something useful in your Linux command interpreter.


"The Fuck is a magnificent app, inspired by a @liamosaur tweet, that corrects errors in previous console commands."
The Fuck's github README


Unlike Suicide Linux, this is actually a tool that helps you when you screw up a command at the command line (and you will!). Rather than destroy your system by wiping it as SL does, it actually offers help, and gives you an alternative to getting Office Space on your poor computer.

Anyone who has ever used the command line interface in any operating system knows the frustration of mistyping a command, forgetting to use sudo or fumbling an argument. The temptation to roar "FUCK!!" at the computer is strong. If this has ever been your experience, you may benefit from this tool.

On typing an incorrect command or argument and getting an error message, the user simply types a frustrated "fuck", hits Enter, then the software cleverly interprets the error message, offers corrections and gives you the option of running one of them. It's a piece of really helpful coding genius, especially if you're new to the command line, fat-fingered, careless, inattentive or what-have-you. When I first really began using the command line, it was a huge help in keeping me sane and getting things done. I could really use it now, as my laptop keyboard is rapidly becoming unusable.

In short, it's useful for the less-competent Linux user, one who is less than familiar with the command line. for advanced users it is aloso rather cathartic to type that "fuck" after you realise you screwed something up. As a plus, it will work in MacOS and the Windows subsystem for Linux. If it sounds useful, install it; it should be in most distros by default. Failing all that, if you have Python installed, try "pipx install thefuck".




https://github.com/nvbn/thefuck

$ xclip -o | wc -w
310