The vast majority of people in public life who describe themselves as "conservatives" are openly pursuing some form of theocracy. The speeches and voting records of the Republicans in Congress are not a secret.

There is a small minority of self-described "conservatives" who profess right-libertarian views, who claim that they are the only "real conservatives", and who claim that the theocrats they vote for don't actually represent them. It's fashionable among these people (see David Horowitz) to accuse all ordinary conservatives of being liberals in disguise: If we define "authoritarianism" as "liberal", why then all authoritarians are liberals by definition! This is gibberish. Furthermore, when the chips are down, these right-libertarians posing as conservatives usually turn out to be conservatives posing as right-libertarians. They'll support absolutely any crazy theocratic nonsense that the GOP barfs up, and they'll try to spin it as in increase in liberty. "Freedom of worship", for example, means the freedom of Christians to make the rest of us worship as they see fit.

This is closely related to descriptions of Hitler as "left wing", and in rare extreme cases it degenerates into Holocaust Denial. The impulse to lie shamelessly about history, politics, and everything else in sight is characteristic of the right wing in general. See also "Creation Science", the "liberal media", Whitewater, Vince Foster, etc. ad infinitum. The impulse stems from a reductionist Manichean worldview which holds that everybody but them is consciously and perfectly evil. Once you've made that assumption the bedrock of your worldview, any fact that contradicts it (and most do, given the complexity of the world and the general halfassedness of the human race) is a threat.

Some conservatives are sincere, reasonable people. I've met them. They exist. It's a shame they don't have the leaders or apologists they deserve. In time, the current fashion in right-wing maniac nonsense will burn itself out, and we won't have to listen to them any more.

By then we'll have somebody else crawling up our national ass, I'm sure.