Ah, International Nurses Day. Nurses, probably one of God's greatest creations.

I've probably met more members of the Nursing profession than members of any other profession. And I'm glad at that. I've probably met somewhere between 200 and 300 nurses during my time at about 8 different hospitals. With no exceptions I can think of, they were all pleasant, helpful, good at their jobs, supportive, and caring. I've have had the privilege of meeting nursing students, LPNs (Licensed Practical Nurses), RNs (Registered Nurses), and even a couple Nurse Practitioners. I've spent considerable more time with nurses than with doctors and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Despite the nursing shortage, the numerous task they have to take on, the long hours they have to work, and the other problems nurses face, I have almost always had a positive experience with nurses. At most there were only one or two times when I have had a complaint. All the nurses I have met have been incredibly well trained and are very skilled. I spent two to three years at a hospital getting IV infusions twice a month. The hospital was a teaching hospital, and probably 15 to 20 times a student nurse was the one trying to insert the needle to start the infusion under the supervision of an RN. I can only recall one, yes, one nurse who had a problem inserting the needle. With the help of the RN she did eventually manage to properly insert it.

Here's to nurses, all that you do, all the lives you save and better, and the impact you make on our lives.

Dedicated to Alana, Andrea, Diane, Kelly, Lea, and Maria. Thank you for what you've done for me and all that you've given me.