So what kind of sacrifice do soldiers make, that we're supposed to honor?

Threefold.

First, there is the fact that if you go to war, you will make friends among your fellow soldiers, and some of them will die. You will wake up the next morning and your friend will not be there, and you will be expected to carry on without faltering.

The second sacrifice is that of the brave soul who volunteers for a job few are willing to do, knowing that if nobody steps up, people will get picked randomly.

Third is what happens when the war is over -- for everyone but the soldiers. PTSD is not merely a matter of flashbacks, but also the psychological damage of having to be alert all the livelong day. This is on top of the physical injuries from carrying massive amounts of gear and having guns go off next to your ear frequently.

Once upon a time, this website had a little blurb in the space below the chatterbox, which, on November 11, read: "America's veterans, enjoy your new life of crippling anxiety, depression, and unemployment. On behalf of a grateful nation, please accept this free cheeseburger with the purchase of a medium drink and fries."

As for the wars they have fought in, well, we don't talk about those, they hardly matter, ha ha, never mind.

Happy fucking Veterans Day.