weeknight sound track
brought to you by pitcher
8p-9p | 9p-10p | 10p-11p

It's Wednesday evening... HUMP DAY at its finest. I'm thinking of dropping out of society, you? Fortunately, it's only two days til the weekend, and I think I can make it another 48 hours without imploding

Now what you really need is some tunage that's a little goofy, a little upbeat - something to keep you going. How bout this:

  • 01. Dance Hall Crashers - Good for Nothin 3:20

  • One of my favorite sing-along songs of all time. The harmonic lady voices, the loud (almost yelling) verse. Yes, this is a song for turning up the radio.

  • 02. All - She's My Ex 3:17

  • All is the pop-punk band which formed out of the ruins of the Descendents: the band which defined pop-punk. This song takes me back to 8th grade before I knew what heartache was, when a break-up seemed as disappointing as a pop song.

  • 03. The Vandals - Kick It (You're Not The Boss Of Me) 3:21

  • Could this sound any more like a song by The Cars? I didn't think so.

  • 04. Alien Ant Farm - Sticks and Stones 3:16

  • Ahh, shit. This song isn't happy! Then again, it is Wednesday - a day which most certainly is not all peaches and cream. Shame on you for thinking I might provide some refuge.

  • 05. Mushuganas - Dropout Girl 0:51

  • I think this song was written about me. No, seriously, this was my high school boyfriend's band, and they recorded this song just after I dropped out of high school and ran away from home and slept on his parents' couch in the living room for a week. Odd how it still applies...

  • 06. Superchunk - From the Curve 3:18

  • "Right now I feel recycled" and I'm ready for something, maybe Dawson's Creek?

  • 07. Too Much Joy - Kicking (that gone fishing song) 4:03

  • I believe the motto of this song is: Everyone/thing sucks, you're gonna die, no one loves you. Now what you really need is a day alone on the lake.

  • 08. Atom and His Package - Going to Georgia 2:00

  • I like when I'm on my way to Georgia for the weekend, but you know what? I don't like Georgia.

  • 09. Angry Samoans - My Old Man's a Fatso 1:31

  • My old man doesn't own a house, but if he did, I know I wouldn't live there.

  • 10. Les Paul and Mary Ford - How High the Moon 2:05

  • Listen to that guitar action! This song makes me happy.

  • 11. Down By Law - Best Friend 3:12

  • I like just calling to hear him, so that's what I do around 9:30. I think we're making it, but sometimes the Wednesday night phone call seems far away from everything - far from last time we met, too far from the next time.

  • 12. Smoking Popes - Need You Around 3:42

  • Dammit, now I'm feeling lonely... my guy isn't gone, but he's certainly not here.

  • 13. Henrietta Collins and the Wife-Beating Child-Haters - Drive-By Shooting 2:01

  • This is making me feel a little better! This is one of our favorite roadtrip songs, so it still makes me think of him, but it also makes me giggle. Of course, this is really Henry Rollins. This is off a fantastic EP which everyone should own. sipping on the night train...

  • 14. Billy Bragg - A New England 2:13

  • This is the song that taught me "pram" means stroller in British.

  • 15. Shudder to Think - Ballad of Maxwell Demon 4:47

  • From the "Velvet Goldmine" soundtrack, this song is pretty indicative of the Shudder to Think later years. I'm thinking that I don't see Ewan McGregor having sex with Christian Bale often enough in my day to day.

  • 16. Glen Phillips - Easier 3:59

  • I'm actually not sure if this is a Glen song or a Toad the Wet Sprocket song. Either way it is delightful. I'm really excited that Toad is touring right now, and I have tickets for a show one week from Saturday.

  • 17. Alkaline Trio - I'm Dying Tomorrow 2:18

  • I don't really plan to die tomorrow, in fact I'd rather that didn't happen. I would like to think that I did try to kiss all the pretty girls at the right time.

  • 18. They Might Be Giants - Ana Ng 3:23

  • Do you really need a reason?

  • 19. Black Velvet Flag - I Don't Care About You 2:23

  • Why didn't lounge covers of punk songs take off like the space shuttle? I think the humor is lost without hearing the original Fear recording. Think of the difference between Snoop Dogg's Gin & Juice and the Gourds'... almost non-recognizable as a cover.

  • 20. King Missile - Cheesecake Truck 1:10

  • and I miss everyone a lot, but I'm not really sorry, 'cause they were very delicious cheesecakes.

  • 21. Richard Buckner - Blue and Wonder 3:47

  • A few months ago this was my new favorite song. It's not my favorite anymore, but I think it's something that you all should hear.

I'm done with you now. Move along.

weeknight sound track
8p-9p | 9p-10p | 10p-11p