Danish æbleskiver are small round balls made from pancake-like dough. They often contain a small piece of apple or other fruit in the center (different from poffertjes which are similar but smaller). Compared to plain pancakes they have a higher density and a stronger, tastier flavor. To make aebleskivers, you will need a seasoned æbleskive pan. This is typically a cast-iron pan with seven or so rounded wells, each about one inch deep.

æbleskiver are satisfying comfort food and are more memorable and creative than pancakes.

Ingredients

Heat butter in milk until melted. Sift the flour in bowl; add half of the butter and milk and beat well. Stir in the salt, sugar and eggs. Dissolve the yeast with a little sugar in 1/4 cup of milk. Add the yeast mixture, butter, and cardamom to the batter. Stir well. Cover and let rise for about one hour.

Frying æbleskiver take practice, so be prepared to end up with a few rejects. First, heat an æbleskive pan and place a little butter in each cup. When hot, add a tablespoon of batter. A small piece of apple or a little jam may be added just after the cakes have cooked a little. Turn the batter with a fork, chopsticks, or knitting needles until golden brown on both sides. The æbleskive is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Some people add more batter when flipping them over for larger, rounder balls. For another variation, fuse two halves together by flipping one over and on top of another.

Serve them warm with your favorite toppings:

For breakfast serve with maple syrup or drizzled with honey then sprinkle with powdered sugar, or sprinkled with powdered sugar and topped with Jam.

Æbleskiver are often served with ice cream, chocolate sauce, and other sweets. They are nice as a snack with hot chocolate or coffee and great as a dessert with liqueur and ice cream. Sweet fillings can include: Jam, raisins, pieces of apple, marzipan, pieces of banana, pieces of chocolates, and chocolate chips. Savory fillings can include: cheese, cheese and herbs, bacon, and sausage.

Æbleskiver are known by many names: Danish ball pancakes, Norwegian puff balls, Ebelskiver, Puffers, Merfeilles, Krapfchen and Munks.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.