Remington's 177 caliber answer to Hornady's .17 Hornady Magnum Rimfire, the .17 Mach2 is a small and light but very high velocity round. The bullet typically weighs only 17 to 20 grains, just about 2 to 5 grains over a gram, but leaves the muzzle at speeds in excess of 2,000 feet per second. It's caliber is similar to the .17 HMR.

The most commonly used bullet in this caliber is an AccuTip-V gold with a red colored polymer-tip. The case uses a rimfire primer, like that of those used in Eley Tenex .22 Long Rifle rounds. The .17 Mach2 is highly accurate and packs a lot of energy which makes for good terminal ballistics for varmints and other small game.

It is smaller than the .17 Hornady Magnum Rimfire which is expected as it is not a magnum round but still does a good job as a varmint round. It is not particularly cheap even if it is small and uses less materials and gun powder as the bullet design is quite intricate, a sort of hollowpoint with a polymer tip filling the ogive for better accuracy. The .22 Long Rifle is still the top caliber of choice for small pistols, revolvers, or rifles for varmint, small game or plinking.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.