The 8th U.S. Army (EUSA) is headquartered in Yongsan, Seoul, South Korea. It was established during World War II on June 10, 1944. It is the major element of the United States Forces Korea (USFK). EUSA has been in South Korea since 1950.

EUSA took part in 60 island assaults in the Pacific theatre against the Japanese. It assisted in the liberation of the Philippines and comprised part of the occupation forces in Japan under General Douglas MacArthur.

After war broke out in Korea in June of 1950, elements of the Eighth Army took part in the first U.S. ground engagement in South Korea. Less than a month after the North Koreans had invaded, the Eighth Army was fully operational. But EUSA was slowly forced to retreat south toward Pusan -- often in house-to-house streetfighting. Eventually holding the line at what became known as the Pusan Perimeter.

When UN forces attacked at Inchon in September, the 8th Army was able to break out. The combined allied forces then routed the North Koreans into North Korea -- only to be beaten back when the Chinese intervened with tens of thousands of troops.

An armistice was was agreed to on July 27, 1953 and the 8th Army has remained vigilant in South Korea ever since in its mission to deter North Korean aggression.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.