Last January, when Ed (who is now one of my closest friends) and I were just getting to know each other, we realised that we both shared a mutual fascination for Glenn Gould. No, this is sadly not a daylog about meeting Glenn Gould, for Mr Gould, unfortunately, is dead. Anyway. This led to a viewing of Thirty Two Short Films About Glenn Gould, written by Francois Girard and Don McKellar. F and Ed then discovered a mutual love for Last Night which was written, directed by and starred McKellar, and I watched it for the first time some months ago, and found it profoundly moving and amazingly made. And then of course, there's Twitch City which Ed and our friend Erin immortalised on youtube....

So when F told me around a month ago that Don McKellar was going to be in this year's Festival, in a Weill/Brecht opera double bill,The Lindbergh Flight/The Flight Over the Sea and Seven Deadly Sins which was also to be directed by Girard, joy knew no bounds, except! Ed would be in his first ever Fringe show playing Ferdinand in The Tempest that night and would miss the entire run, and not get to see McKellar as well! Which would just be wrong.

There was only one thing for it. Meet the man in person.

After the show, F and I ran around frantically looking for a stagedoor, found one, and F flashed his Festival pass and we were in. Standing next to the stagedoor, while Francois Girard dashed from room to room and various other stars of the show smiled at us sweetly as they passed us in the corridor--it was all a bit surreal. As we nervously pondered what to do, McKellar emerged from a door and was just about to enter his dressing room, and I said "Mr McKellar?"

He was lovely. I told him how we were fans of his work, and he seemed genuinely touched and pleased, even a bit surprised, I think. I was holding my programme for Seven Deadly Sins, and he asked which sin he should sign...he ended up signing the Epilogue. I told him that I had a friend who was a huge fan of Twitch City and he told us that it was finally coming out on DVD! And asked us where we'd seen it, and we said we'd stolen it off the internet. He was faux grumbly, and said that apparently British television hadn't wanted it because it was, er, too like British TV. It really, really isn't. We told him that we hadn't really seen anything like it on British tv and he seemed faintly relieved. He asked F what he did for the festival, and our names and then I told him that we were there because this friend who was a great fan couldn't make it because he was in his first Fringe show ever--he asked where it was, and what play, and what role ed was playing, and said encouragingly that it was quite a substantial role. F also pointed out that we had first bonded over '32 Films' which he seemed to approve of. And so he wrote: "Dear Ed, my fellow festivalite your pal, Don McKellar." He was wonderful, humble, and not very much taller than me. It was great.

What hath I wrought?

So, the other day me and the wee one are browsing through our local Blockbuster’s in search of some entertainment for what looks to be a rainy evening when we come across one of those deals that they have on used DVD’s. It’s one of those deals where can you can get four of ‘em that are priced $9.99 under for twenty bucks. So I strike a deal with her and say she can pick out two and I can pick out two. After all, fair is fair.

Needless to say, we’re wandering up and down the aisles looking for a good deal on some of the latest releases but to our dismay we soon discover that most of the things we want to see are conveniently priced at $12.99 and above. A pretty clever marketing ploy if you ask me. Determined not to leave empty handed and be faced with the prospect of watching network television, we decide to scope out some of the older releases that might not have previously caught our eye.

After hemming and hawing over my side of the deal I finally decide on that Woody Allen flick called “Melinda on Melinda” (don't bother) and another one called “Ghosts of Mississippi” (bother). My first choice really isn’t mine at all. Anna has taken a shine to both Will Ferrell and Steve Carell every since I let her watch Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy and since they’re both in the movie, I figure, what the hell. Come to think of it, the second choice really isn’t mine either. It’s about the assassination of civil rights leader Medgar Evers back in 1963 and how long it took his family to receive justice. While I’ve always wanted to see it, I figured Anna could always use some historical perspective about just how bad things were for some folks not too very long ago.

And then it happens….

Super size, super size
The American way
Going down, throwing down
All day, every day
Super size, super size
The American way
Getting fat, getting broke
Either way you're gonna pay
Super size me
Super size me
Super size me
Super size me

She comes wandering down the aisle with a smile on her face and the movie Super Size Me clutched in her hands. I wonder to myself if she’s tossing a subtle hint my way but decide to leave it alone for the time being, but still…

Anyway, we get home and I decide to let her pick from amongst the titles and as you might have guessed, Super Size Me it was. After the movie, we have a little discussion about the benefits of why we don’t eat fast food all that often and why most of our cooking is done at home. My answers seem to make sense (or so I thought) and we bid each other a good night.

As I’m beginning to learn, what happens in the space of one evening can cause a lifetime of change. This is especially true if you’re eleven going on twelve.

The next morning, Anna announces her intentions to try a vegetarian lifestyle for a month beginning this very moment. For those of you who don't know me, I’m a meat and potatoes kinda guy and I figure that she can live off potatoes if she really has to. When I kind of mention that I really don’t think I’ll be along for the ride, that she’ll have to do this solo, a concerned look comes across her face. It’s soon replaced by recognition when she announces that she’ll learn to cook for herself. My head sags a bit but I further try and discourage her when I mention the dishes but she says that she'll do them as well.

I mention this to a friend of mine and rather than try and talk her out if it or to try it in moderation, good friend that they are, they supply her with a vegetarian cookbook.

Anbody wanna guess what I had for dinner last night?

Angel hair pasta with broccoli, olive oil and parmesan cheese and a cut up tomato.

Folks, this is prime grilling season and a slab of ribs or a London broil would’ve suited me just fine but I kept my mouth shut and just ate it and ya know what?

It was ok. Not great mind you but good nonetheless.

I think I got more of thrill watching her do all of the prep work and the look of concentration on her face as she measured out the quantities was pretty cool.

I forgave her the dishes…

Oh yeah, her fourth movie choice was something called Mad Hot Ballroom.

One can only guess what lay in store…

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.