While there is an entire entertainment industry devoted to amuse and divert us with music, television, motion pictures, gladiatorial combat, professional sports, theme parks, and video and computer games, entertainment does not require per se conspicuous consumption.

DIY entertainment includes parlor games, sing-alongs, jokes, interaction with small children, kitchen science experiments, dancing in the living room, playgrounds, phone pranks, story swapping, foreplay, backyard acrobatics, craft projects, and dressing up in clothing not meant for someone of your size and/or gender. While children have an innate talent for creating various forms of entertainment, exposure to industry-created forms is remarkably effective in atrophying this ability.

En`ter*tain"ment (?), n. [Cf. OF. entretenement.]

1.

The act of receiving as host, or of amusing, admitting, or cherishing; hospitable reception; also, reception or treatment, in general.

The entertainment of Christ by faith. Baxter.

The sincere entertainment and practice of the precepts of the gospel. Bp. Sprat.

2.

That which entertains, or with which one is entertained; as: (a) Hospitality; hospitable provision for the wants of a guest; especially, provision for the table; a hospitable repast; a feast; a formal or elegant meal. (b) That which engages the attention agreeably, amuses or diverts, whether in private, as by conversation, etc., or in public, by performances of some kind; amusement.

Theatrical entertainments conducted with greater elegance and refinement. Prescott.

3.

Admission into service; service.

Some band of strangers in the adversary's entertainment. Shak.

4.

Payment of soldiers or servants; wages.

[Obs.]

The entertainment of the general upon his first arrival was but six shillings and eight pence. Sir J. Davies.

Syn. -- Amusement; diversion; recreation; pastime; sport; feast; banquet; repast; carousal.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.