As of September 11, 2001, the amount of people choosing air as a mode of transport has dropped off. This is to be expected considering the events of September 11th, but it is also expected to slowly increase back to normal levels over time.

At this time (November, 2001) the average age of a pilot is 56 years old. The baby-boomer generation comprises most of the pilot core, and there is a standing forced-retirement at 60 years of age in North America.

In 2009, it is expected that there will be a massive shortage of pilots. If all of the training facilities in North America pumped out their maximum amount of pilots ever since 1999, there would still be a shortage in 2009. That's how bad it is.

With this in mind, airlines have started lowering their minimum hiring requirements. What used to be "Minimum 600 hours experience" is now "Minimum just-out-of-flight-school and we'll-train-you, come here quick." U.S. Airlines have even started hiring pilots in Canada through their northern offices (This practice is technically illegal but there is various loopholes, since they operate an international business).

One can expect a job as a pilot as long as they are competent and dedicated. Heck, even if you're not, you'll probably get a job. I wouldn't be suprised if airlines started paying for your flight school.

Most folks that end up taking the whole shibang (Commercial license, instructor rating, instrument flight, etc.) can often get a job instructing at their place of training. Since the course outline is fresh in your mind (you just finished going through it!) the company you trained with will barely have to train you. This is often a pilots first job as it builds hours and aircraft familiarity.

So what are you waiting for? If you still need convincing, read this. Hurry up and learn how to fly.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.