Barium (II) nitrate
Barium salt of nitric acid
Recommended protective equipment: goggles or face shield, lab coat or apron, vent hood, gloves
Barium nitrate is not combustible, but is a strong oxidizer and helps other things explode or burn. Store in a tightly closed container in a cool, dry, well ventilated area and isolate from other substances, especially combustibles. Carbon dioxide is an ineffective fire fighting method because barium nitrate produces its own oxygen to feed a fire. CO2 works by displacing ambient oxygen, which would therefore have no effect.
Barium nitrate irritates by contact with skin or eyes, ingestion, or inhalation. Exposure may cause tightness of the muscles of the face and neck, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, muscular tremors, anxiety, weakness, labored breathing, cardiac irregularity, convulsions, and death from cardiac and respiratory failure. There are no known chronic exposure problems. Most serious exposures should be treated by professionals immediately. Do not allow spills to contaminate the environment.
If inhaled, you should remove the victim to fresh air and give artificial respiration if necessary. In severe cases it may be necessary to supply oxygen. If ingested, induce vomiting and afterwards (only if conscious) give the victim a mixture of 1 tablespoon sodium sulfate or magnesium sulfate in 8 ounces of water. This will create barium sulfate, which is nontoxic.
Barium nitrate is used for green color in fireworks, and as an oxidizer in tracer bullets and explosives. If added to thermite it makes thermate, allowing it to burn underwater due to its oxidizing properties.
Thanks to Professor Pi for help and some corrections.