Victim

I don't want to be one

I could be broken
I could find reasons
I could lie in the street
and wail

But I like to get up
And study my disasters
Wonder
And learn
And I keep thinking
how much I learn
each time I fall
even as I rub the tears
from my cheeks

I am curious
What the Beloved will
Give me next.

"Tell them there's no magic cure for how we are!"

A young gay man hangs himself in a police cell. Investigating officers find a connection to Melville Farr, a respectable barrister who will soon make Queen's Counsel, with a judgeship, perhaps, to follow. Farr faces a dilemma. He can help break a blackmail ring, but only at cost of career and reputation. It's 1961, and cooperation means his own homosexual tendencies will come to light. The investigation will prove difficult in other ways too. The ring operates in areas of London inhabited almost entirely by red herrings.

The cast do a fine job. Dirk Bogarde is excellent as Melville. He was an actor's actor who, after achieving commercial success, turned to more rewarding artistic work. This film, shot entirely on location, also gives us a fascinating tour of the streets and pubs, the places high and low, of early 60s England.

Allegedly the first mainstream English-language movie to use the word "homosexual," Basil Dearden's Victim manages to be progressive for its time. Our likeable protagonist has homosexual leanings, sure, but he's been battling them, and his wife plans to remain by his side. Our chief investigator has no use for laws criminalizing private, consensual sexual behavior, but it's clear he's as straight as a line. And the blackmailers, when exposed, prove utterly contemptible. One is a mocking, leering criminal voyeur who comes across as, well, effeminate. The other is a self-righteous prig wallowing in hypocrisy, a person claiming moral outrage but comfortable profiting from crime.

Victim is a piece of history, a flawed but fascinating snapshot of another era. It also may have helped change that era; England would decriminalize homosexual activity in 1967, ahead of many western democracies.

290 words

Vic"tim (?), n. [L. victima: cf. F. victime.]

1.

A living being sacrificed to some deity, or in the performance of a religious rite; a creature immolated, or made an offering of.

Led like a victim, to my death I'll go. Dryden.

2.

A person or thing destroyed or sacrificed in the pursuit of an object, or in gratification of a passion; as, a victim to jealousy, lust, or ambition.

3.

A person or living creature destroyed by, or suffering grievous injury from, another, from fortune or from accident; as, the victim of a defaulter; the victim of a railroad accident.

4.

Hence, one who is duped, or cheated; a dupe; a gull.

[Colloq.]

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.