Margaret Atwood's fifth novel concerns Rennie, a Canadian writer. Escaping demons, Rennie travels to the Caribbean to write a travel piece. During her stay she becomes increasingly mired in the politics of the small island she has chosen for her subject. As the situation takes a turn for the worse, she reflects on the failed relationships that drove her to want to escape.


Bodily Harm's first half was weak. Atwood hadn't yet learned to play to her strengths and there was too much empty action. The only salvation was the main character's rumination on the flaws and weaknesses of her former lovers; Atwood is adept at rendering the inner lives of women. But there simply wasn't enough of it to excuse the first, yawn-inducing section.

The second half was much better. Things begin to fall into place, stakes were raised, and Rennie stopped being a mere spectator in her own life. My only problem with this section is one with the work of a number of fledgling writers: she conspicuously avoided a stylistic weakness. There is a scene where a group of men are going to fight one another. Quite a lot is riding on this fight, and the reader has been expecting it for the last few pages. As soon as the first punch is in the air, Atwood switches to two of the characters walking down the beach. The fight is over, and Atwood tells us who won, but she doesn't describe it. Obviously she came to this section, maybe she tried a few times to write it all down, but she eventually gave up. A fight isn't like a sex scene, where it isn't at all important to know what went where as long as you know what took place and the result. Especially when so much is riding on this particular fight.

The ending was very well done. Throughout the last part of the book Atwood comes back to her greatest theme: power. More often than not Atwood's characters remind one of Joseph K. from The Trial: someone has immense, unjustified power over them, power that they do not fully understand. Atwood's book can make you very angry, if you let them.

I would recommend this novel for someone who truly enjoys Atwood's work and wants to read everything she has ever written, but if you have a low tolerance for a slow build-up, it is to be avoided.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.