A scene is simply a group of people united by something common, of any sort. There are scenes associated with about anything - the punk scene, the raver scene, the snowboarding scene, the 'local party scene', etc. When my dad was young he was in a scene related to drag racing - which sadly has been killed off in Southern California because they closed all the racetracks. Scenes need not occupy a geographical positon - i consider Everything2 to be a scene, as well as other large internet message boards and gathering places.

I believe that scenes have become a more important part of society since about the 1950s, when homogenous suburbs became the norm. Instead of living in a little town, where you knew everyone on the street, people were thrown into totally anonymous environments. Most scenes are small enough that you see the same people over and over again, which leads to a sense of community, but also sometimes to monotony and drama.

Scenes are little pieces of community created around something, and although their focus is different their internal dynamics are often largely the same. Usually there is some small group which makes up the core of the scene. In the punk scene, these are people who have bands, in the rave scene it is the DJs, in the racing scene it is people with good cars. On Everything it is the 'gods'. Also common in these scenes are 'scenesters', people who know everyone, hang out with the 'big names', and are well known. Other than that, there are all the other people who hang around

The whole scene thing can be problematic at times. The most popular pastime in the punk scene is talking/singing about how badly the punk scene sucks. Since everyone sees everyone, the drama can get quite nasty. Many people date in the scene, causing even more problems. If someone isnt able to properly integrate into a scene they are often labeled as 'poseurs' and shunned.

Although all of these scenes have similarities, there is something that makes Everything2 different. The 'gods' here actually have real power, other than just social power - they can delete nodes, place them on the page of cool, bless/curse people, etc. Although having a band talk bad about you could severely damage your place in the punk scene, you arent actually going to lose a set amount of points. Indeed E2 is an interesting social experiment, but like any scene, peoples lives are deeply involved, so things tend to get emotional, which is a bad thing.

Scene (?), n. [L. scaena, scena, Gr. a covered place, a tent, a stage.]

1.

The structure on which a spectacle or play is exhibited; the part of a theater in which the acting is done, with its adjuncts and decorations; the stage.

2.

The decorations and fittings of a stage, representing the place in which the action is supposed to go on; one of the slides, or other devices, used to give an appearance of reality to the action of a play; as, to paint scenes; to shift the scenes; to go behind the scenes.

3.

So much of a play as passes without change of locality or time, or important change of character; hence, a subdivision of an act; a separate portion of a play, subordinate to the act, but differently determined in different plays; as, an act of four scenes.

My dismal scene I needs must act alone. Shak.

4.

The place, time, circumstance, etc., in which anything occurs, or in which the action of a story, play, or the like, is laid; surroundings amid which anything is set before the imagination; place of occurence, exhibition, or action.

"In Troy, there lies the scene."

Shak.

The world is a vast scene of strife. J. M. Mason.

5.

An assemblage of objects presented to the view at once; a series of actions and events exhibited in their connection; a spectacle; a show; an exhibition; a view.

Through what new scenes and changes must we pass! Addison.

6.

A landscape, or part of a landscape; scenery.

A sylvan scene with various greens was drawn, Shades on the sides, and in the midst a lawn. Dryden.

7.

An exhibition of passionate or strong feeling before others; often, an artifical or affected action, or course of action, done for effect; a theatrical display.

Probably no lover of scenes would have had very long to wait or some explosions between parties, both equally ready to take offense, and careless of giving it. De Quincey.

Behind the scenes, behind the scenery of a theater; out of the view of the audience, but in sight of the actors, machinery, etc.; hence, conversant with the hidden motives and agencies of what appears to public view.

 

© Webster 1913.


Scene, v. t.

To exhibit as a scene; to make a scene of; to display.

[Obs.]

Abp. Sancroft.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.