Cue (k), n. [ OF. coue, coe, F. queue, fr. L. coda, cauda, tail. Cf. Caudal, Coward, Queue.]

1.

The tail; the end of a thing; especially, a tail-like twist of hair worn at the back of the head; a queue.

2.

The last words of a play actor's speech, serving as an intimation for the next succeeding player to speak; any word or words which serve to remind a player to speak or to do something; a catchword.

When my cue comes, call me, and I will answer. Shak.

3.

A hint or intimation.

Give them [the servants] their cue to attend in two lines as he leaves the house. Swift.

4.

The part one has to perform in, or as in, a play.

Were it my cueto fight, I should have known it Without a prompter. Shak.

5.

Humor; temper of mind.

[Colloq.]

Dickens.

6.

A straight tapering rod used to impel the balls in playing billiards.

 

© Webster 1913.


Cue, v. t.

To form into a cue; to braid; to twist.

 

© Webster 1913.


Cue, n. [From q, an abbreviation for quadrans a farthing.]

A small portion of bread or beer; the quantity bought with a farthing or half farthing.

[Obs.]

⇒ The term was formerly current in the English universities, the letter q being the mark in the buttery books to denote such a portion.

Nares.

Hast thou worn Gowns in the university, tossed logic, Sucked philosophy, eat cues? Old Play.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.