British manufacturers of high-end audio equipment, Cambridge Audio sell a wide variety of products from CD players to tuners, amplifiers, interconnects and other accessories.

The company was founded in 1968 by a team of engineers who dreamed of creating audio equipment that would put the figurative smackdown on everything else on the market. During the 1970s they used the relatively new solid-state technology to create quality amplifiers such as the Cambridge Audio P40, the P50 and the P110. Cambridge Audio were one of the first British hi-fi companies to offer complete and matching systems with the release of the R50 transmission line speakers and the T55 FM stereo tuner.

In the 1980s, with the introduction of the Compact Disc, Cambridge Audio produced the world's first two-box CD player that featured seperation of the functional elements for improved audio quality. The P range of amplifiers also included a new feature, Segmented Passive Equalisation, which used special circuitry to get maximum dynamic range with minimum noise from vinyl. The Cambridge Audio P35 amplifier has become one of the most popular amplifiers used by enthusiasts with many still being used today.

The nineties saw Cambridge Audio utilising newfound technical knowledge and advanced manufacturing methods to create some of the first real price-point audiophile systems. These products were some of the best sellers in the UK and won the company a string of Best Buys, Awards and 5-star reviews. The acclaimed DACMAGIC was the first of the company's products to win a prestigious What Hi-Fi? Award and the company's new range for 1996 won three Diapason D'Or Awards in France. Cambridge Audio also produced a range of high-quality interconnect cables and accessories to complement their equipment. Today the company exports to more than 25 countries around the world.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.